If you’re like me your completely confused by rv builders who put cheap beige carpet on the floor of camping units. Whether your a full time camper or a weekend warrior, you’ve got a solid 5 seconds before this carpeting is absolutely FILTHY!
Kids, pets, camping, and exploring the great outdoors turn beige carpeting into a color that resembles dirty snow! Yuck!
In our last camper we tore out the carpeting, left the linoleum and put in a floating “pergo-like” wood floor.
It lasted about 6 months, due entirely to our travel itinerary. Had we stayed in a dry climate for the majority of our travels, it would have lasted longer, but instead we spent two weeks in San Franscisco in September and the moisture caused bubbling through out the entire living area.
When we tore it out, the linoleum was like a gift from the rving Gods, a testament to “you don’t know what you got til you cover it up”.
We warmed ourselves for a few weeks by using the planks for our campfire needs. Man did that stuff burn HOT! Causing me to question just how dangerous it would have been in the event of an rv fire…
In the meantime, we picked up two bounded remnants to place over the naked slide floor and we were pretty pleased with the condition of the floor.
Flash forward to Fulltime Families Mobile #2, affectionately called Bride of Frankentruck (a very long story indeed), which came again with cheap beige carpeting.
We were willing to live with it for a while, but one of our dogs loved to pee on it. She loved it so much, she’d entertain us for hours on walks, only to rush in and pee right in front of the tv.
It didn’t take long to make it unbearable in the camper, necessitating another flooring solution.
A quick trip to Home Depot revealed Vinyl Planking, the look of wood, the durability of linoleum and so easy to install, the kids could do it (of course they didn’t, but they could have).
It was available in a variety of stunning designs, but most of them were special order, and we are not the patient type, so we went with the readily available Oak option, which in retrospect, I’m very happy we did because we miscalculated (we’re not the good with math type either) and we needed three additional boxes to complete the camper.
I estimate it cost us about $500 to do the entire camper and I’m thrilled with the final result.
If you want to check it out, take a virtual tour with me…